I know I'm about a month and a half late, but I thought I would post my Christmas knitting projects, just for kicks. Normally, I don't do Christmas knitting on principle. Imposing another deadline during that time of year is bad for my stress levels. I prefer to knit stuff for people year-round and give it to them whenever it is finished. But this year, in mid-December, my brother decided to ask for a Kindle and to buy one for his girlfriend as well. Of course, he wanted hand-knit covers for both of them. Two weeks before Christmas. From someone who Doesn't Do Christmas Knitting. But I love my brother, so while we were on the phone, I started checking out what was available on Ravelry. There are some super-cute cabled patterns, some with lace, etc. Then he says that he wants his to match the color of the dark charcoal Kindle and have an Astros logo, while he wants Sara's to be navy blue with a yellow/gold Naval Academy logo on it (that's where she goes to school). Oh, okay!
I found another Kindle3 pattern and used it to get the dimensions, then I knit two plain stockinette covers, one in black (the closest color I had in my stash to that dark charcoal) and one in navy, both in Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride. I also had some red BSLP for the Astros logo, and I found some yellow Patons Canadiana in my stash which worked for the Academy logo, both of which I did in duplicate stitch after finishing the main knitting. All in all, I think they turned out okay! I finished them Christmas Eve and had 'em blocked and ready to go by Christmas afternoon...not too bad! My bro got his that day, and then he hand delivered Sara's on the 26th, when he went to visit her. Overall, success!
Alex's (Rav Project Page):
Sara's (Rav Project Page):
If I make more in the future, I would try to use another yarn besides the BSLP. It would be nice to use something machine-washable, because they do get carried all over the place, in airports and on planes and such, and because the little angora fibers can get stuck in the seam between the screen and and the plastic casing and have to be pulled out. Not a big hassle, but it could be avoided with a smoother yarn. I have vague plans to use my big Christmas present (a sewing machine!) to make fabric linings that will prevent this, but it hasn't happened yet. Someday!